Saturday, September 15, 2012

More Joy Less Shame

For at least the last year but really longer our family has been in self imposed isolation.  We have been suffering alone in our shame.  It has come to the point where I think we are tired of hiding and have decided to put ourselves out there and accept what may come.  We are ready to meet new people who want to join us on our journey and are ready to let go of those who dont.  But before you decide which side of the road you are on here is a little more about our story.

My husband, Joe is a recovering Alcoholic/Addict.  He has been in active recovery for about 6 years.  But in the last year he had a major relapse in which he made some very bad choices and hurt some very good people.  He ended up in legal trouble that is going to send him to jail next week for at least a month.

So for the last year we have cut ourselves off from most everyone because how do you avoid something that is such a huge part of your life coming up in conversation.  We were not ready to tell people.  Some people close to us that do know about this terrible tragedy have decided they no longer accept us as part of their life and I understand their decision.  I have asked myself a thousand times if I met someone who told me that their husband did what mine did could I continue to have them over for dinner. Before this happened I am not sure but I can say for sure now that I would.

So now I am faced with living in a new place where I dont know anyone and next week my husband will be in jail and I will be left taking care of 3 children completely by myself.  While I have been contimplating this task it has forced me come out of my isolation and put myself out there. 

I firmly believe that God works all things for good.  I have prayed many times asking God to show me how this situation can be used for His glory.  I hope that writing this blog is the first step in doing that.  I hope that people that dont know us very well will understand why they havent seen us lately. That we will meet new people that share our story and our journey. That we will reach hurting people and that somehow reading our story will help them through their pain. And that it will help our family to heal and begin our new life.

I am not exactly where writing this blog is going to go.  But my goal for now is to chronicle our journey each day as we undergo the seperation from Joe while he is in jail. As well as continue to share what it is like to live with someone that is in recovery and just share the trials and triumphs of my everyday life as a mother, wife, homeschool teacher, sister, daughter and friend.  I hope you will decide to join us on our journey to more joy and less shame.

2 comments:

  1. Couragous step in the healing process, even though your still going through it. in times of trial it helped me to recite the Serenity Prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. that is a good idea. i just went to an al-anon meeting the other night and they recited the prayer and it reminded me how wonderful it is.

      Delete